"The Rocketeer" Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"The Rocketeer" Jacket

Postby Rick » Wed May 09, 2007 6:04 am

Here is one that I photoshopped the words from so we would have a cleaner-looking picture...

Notice the length in the back compared the the front of the jacket.

A decent shot of the cuff straps...

TheFedoraGuy

Postby TheFedoraGuy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:08 am

I've seen Rocketeer again yesterday evening and I noticed that the jacket Cliff Secord is wearing in the beginning (when he crashs the new plane) seems to be different from the actual Rocketeer jacket, eg there's no detachable front bib, and no pins to attach it at all. Anyone else noticed that? :-)

Indy Magnoli

Postby Indy Magnoli » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 am

Oh yes I've noticed! I always wondered if that was meant to be the same jacket, fictionally speaking. If not, funny that he should have two so very similar jackets in his wardrobe...

Kind regards,
Magnoli
+Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam+
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:03 am

I have always loved this jacket but there's no way I can pull off the look as an everyday jacket without looking a bit eccentric.

Canon-wise I believe the jacket at the beginning of the movie is meant to be the same jacket when he becomes the Rocketeer. Cliff just adds the buttons and bib to secure the straps for the rocket pack.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 am

Herojacket wrote:I have always loved this jacket but there's no way I can pull off the look as an everyday jacket without looking a bit eccentric.

It has a lot to do with the color. Abbyshot used to have a photo of the exact same jacket in black and it looked like it was much more "wear-in-public-friendly." If I recall, the person wearing it was on a motorcycle and it did not look out of place at all. They have redesigned their site and I cannot find the photos...
Last edited by Rick on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheFedoraGuy

Postby TheFedoraGuy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:34 am

I was thinking for a long time whether to get the Wested Rocketeer, but as Herojacket stated, it makes one look a bit bizarre :-) Mainly because of the pins and the bib I'd say.. That's why I'm so much interested in the bib-less version from the movie's beginning scene. It reminds me a lot of the "The Aviator" jacket, also from the beginning of the movie, and of Magnoli's Highway jacket.

Bruce Da Shark

Postby Bruce Da Shark » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:03 pm

The Rocketeer jacket is an awesome looking garment, I guess you need to have a certain look to pull it off though.
Woo Boo Boo Boo Boo, No respect. Gah, Gah, Gah.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Cliffs jacket in the beginning of the film is the same jacket minus the bib and buttons. It gets covered in burnt oil when he crashes the plane. The next time he wears it it's brand new and has the bib and buttons.

He must have picked up a new one in between somewhere.

I'd love to get one, but I would get the earlier version without the bib.
Saoirse go deo

DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Hey there! I was about to purchase a Rocketeer jacket as I start piecing together the costume and found 3 different companies that make the jacket - Abbyshot, Wested, and Southbeach Leather... the Southbeach leather version was the cheapest but only one image is offered... the Wested one seems to be a good, middle of the road version but I was just wondering if anyone can attest to the quality of the Wested version...? Any info on any of these manufacturers would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
:DannyBoy

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Wested's is not very accurate. Their's doesn't have the wrist straps and a few other details. I don't have one but everyone that owns Wested jackets say that the quality is pretty nice.
If you're a stickler for details, AbbyShot is the best, period. Their version even has the correct snap down epaulets and all the correct button holes, including the mystery button holes on the side of the jacket.
Saoirse go deo

OnlyOneSnake

Postby OnlyOneSnake » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, I can't speak to Southbeach leather, but I know Abbyshot is pretty top notch. Same goes for Wested. I own their Tomorrow Never Dies jacket in brown horsehide, and it is superb. They make their Rocketeer out of horsehide too, and it looks fantastic. I'm not a Rocketeer jacket expert, but I have heard that the Abbyshot is the most accurate. However, it is also the most expensive. I don't konw all the ins and outs of this jacket, but to me, the Wested fits the bill. The quality will not disappoint, and the price is quite fair for what you're getting.

Regards,
- John
"Call me Snake"

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I do not believe Abbyshot offers the Rocketeer jacket anymore. They have taken down from their website the last I checked. They may still sell their "cheaper" version jet jacket.

Wested will make the jacket with the straps on the sleeves. My buddy had one with the straps on the sleeves but ended up returning it to do fitment issues. Wested also took quite a while to make it. MUCH longer than the 21 day turn around that they promise so order now if you want it by Halloween.

As far as South Beach Leather, I had them make me an I, Robot suede beanie that Will Smith wears in the movie. They did a decent (but not great) job; however, it also took them forever to complete it.

Good luck on your search!

Indy Magnoli

Postby Indy Magnoli » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 pm

And there's always that Magnoli guy! Seriously, I've been wanting to make this jacket since we started offering leather garments. Please someone step up to the plate! ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
+Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam+
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:07 pm

I have all the AbbyShot semi-high res pics of this jacket if you need them Indy.
Saoirse go deo

DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:25 am

Hey thanks so much for the advice! It really helps. Abby does still offer both Rocketeer jackets. I couldn't find it through their website's links but was able to locate it through google searches.
http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-roc ... jacket.php

I don't know what they did to their website but navigation is not nearly as intuitive and finding anything is difficult.

I was going to go ahead and order the Wested jacket but ran into another snag with them... they don't give any indication of what measurements best fit their sizes... I emailed them a few days ago asking for a chart or something but, as yet, have not heard back. I just want to be sure since they're in the UK and returning anything will be a hassle... I just want to be sure since the jacket is actually supposed to fit a little more snug than most other jackets... I usually wear an XL but according to South Beach Leather's size chart I would wear a Large and sometimes larges are just a smidge too small... and lord knows if there's some sort of strange British Large that is a medium anywhere else... ARGH! :P heh heh.

If Wested doesn't get back to me I may have to spend the extra $$ and go with Abby's... a decision primarily on customer service... :?

Thanks again, fellas!
:DannyBoy

Return to “Film Jackets”