how to stiffen collars?

This forum is for the care and preservation of your jacket(s). You will learn how to protect, maintain and even restore your jackets here.

Moderator: Mike

darkstar

how to stiffen collars?

Postby darkstar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 am

I own a Belstaff Six Days Blouson wax cotton with corduroy lining the collar.

anyone know how i can stiffen the collar? like the leather Cougar in Wanted?

Arethusa

Postby Arethusa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm

I guess you could take it to a tailor and ask for some stiff interfacing to be put in. Probably more expensive than it's worth, but it's an option.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Arethusa is right. The only way to stiffen(make rigid) a collar is is by a thin sheet of plastic, cardboard or whatever to support the inside of said collar,almost like the rigid collar of a dress shirt. To do that, is alot easier said then done. If you try to ask a tailor or cobbler that, then may hesitate due to time and effort put forth. They may ask for extra payment as a seam to the collar may need to be ripped open and repaired, depending on initial construction, if the top and bottom piece of the collar had been glued together prior to being stitched, then you are NOW talking removal of the entire collar. possibly even the liner, seeing as all the stitching is on the inside. Whew...not so easy, huh?
Last edited by superDrool on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

h8ter18

Postby h8ter18 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:47 pm

you could show it some nudie mags? :shock:

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 pm

:lol: Too, good h8ter! :wink:
Where's the ROFL emoticon? I needed that one.
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

jbuckley

Postby jbuckley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:04 pm

darkstar

Postby darkstar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 pm

hahaha. thanks for the advice people

Arethusa

Postby Arethusa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm

superDrool wrote:Arethusa is right. The only way to stiffen(make rigid) a collar is is by a thin sheet of plastic, cardboard or whatever to support the inside of said collar,almost like the rigid collar of a dress shirt. To do that, is alot easier said then done. If you try to ask a tailor or cobbler that, then may hesitate due to time and effort put forth. They may ask for extra payment as a seam to the collar may need to be ripped open and repaired, depending on initial construction, if the top and bottom piece of the collar had been glued together prior to being stitched, then you are NOW talking removal of the entire collar. possibly even the liner, seeing as all the stitching is on the inside. Whew...not so easy, huh?

Mostly true, but you don't need plastic or cardboard. Canvas interfacing is specifically made for this, and any good tailor (ie not just the alterations person at your dry cleaner) will have some.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 am

I've never heard of canvas being used. That has to be some thick or stiff canvas to stand up/stiffen 2 layers of leather.

xOUTLAWx

Postby xOUTLAWx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm

superDrool wrote::lol: Too, good h8ter! :wink:
Where's the ROFL emoticon? I needed that one.

Image Here it is.Image

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Sweet. I have two now, a family of psychotic smilies.

Return to “Jacket Care and Preservation”