"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" Frank-N-Furter

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" Frank-N-Furter

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:37 am

Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:37 am

A small story:

The Frank-N-Furter jacket is one of the first jackets we were going to feature on FILMJACKETS.COM.

I found this by accident (along with 'The Rocketeer' Jacket while trying to determine what to name this place. My first choice was moviejackets.com, but that is already taken. We could have gone with moviejackets.net which is still open, but it would have been too confusing. (For the record we own moviejackets.com and moviejackets.net now.)

But the owner of moviejackets.com reportedly has the original "Frank-N-Furter" jacket. Check it out here. Tell him FILMJACKETS.COM sent you since he has not been particularly receptive to my requests to feature his jacket(s) on our site. I tried again this morning and we can see what happens.

Mike L Scott

Tim Curry's Cafe racer jacket

Postby Mike L Scott » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Its not that Im not receptive just crazy busy.....
I have sent permission to the site owner that he can use any images I have posted on my web site moviejackets.comto upload for his pages.I can furnish additional info if he wishes and send shots of the replica jackets I have made in the past and of the screen used prop.
it just may take a while for me to reply.
glad people are still interested in this piece.
Cheers!
Mike L Scott

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:43 am

Thanks Mike,

I added a hyperlink to your site in your message above. Replica jacket shots would be fantastic and of course would be added to the main page for the jacket as well.

I just wish I could find a nice hi-res, full torso color shot of Tim Curry wearing that jacket. :?

jellis294

Re: "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" Frank-N-Furter

Postby jellis294 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 am

I am making a replica frank n furter jacket, and moviejackets.com has been a massive help! I cant thank mike enough for the great help his site has been. However, i dont think the jacket featured on his site is the origional jacket. There are afew rasons:-
1. The photos Shown. The photos on the website dont feature a full view of the back. The back parades the painted union jack, and the UNKNOWN PATCH. none of these are photographed, to an extent that the triumph patch, which overlaps the union jack, isn't photographed on the jacket. If it was, the UJ would be on full show.
2. The patches. All the patches that are featured on the jacket are photographed, except the patch that is the hardest to work out. Nobody knows what this patch is, and it has caused me a lot of brain ache. The patch is located just below the union jack. It just seemed funny to me how the only patch that isnt photographed, is the only one that can't be worked out.
Also, the "59" patches especially, which are the second patch down on both arms, appear ragged and worn in the photos featured in this blog (and even moreso on the picture below). On mikes jacket, however, they seem too neat and prestine to be the originals.
3. The badges. All the badges arent photographed on his site. I can understand that he makes replicas, and wouldn't want to reveal all the badges, but this furthers my doubt. Also, the badges appear more dispersed on mikes pictures than they do in the film. This may be due to the size of the bust against tim currys frame.

If this is a replica, i give my respect to mike, as it is a very, very good one.
I dont mean any disrespect to mike, and dont doubt that he isnt able to own the jacket, as he owns the other jackets but if you were tim curry, would you want to keep the jacket? Matloaf kept his eddie jacket....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jellis294

Postby jellis294 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 am

On further, close and very thourough inspection, for the sake of my own jackets accuracy, I have also found that some of the badges featured on his page are completely different. For instance, the jawa badges and rock and roll club special badges especially, appear to be outlined in silver on mikes page, and the jacket. However you can clearly see on the mick rock pictures, that they are infact outlined gold. I have heard that this jacket has undergone "renevations", but to change it to such an extent would be a travesty! You would keep the real jacket just how it is, and make yourself a replica to wear for yourself. This has proved to me that this jacket is not the real thing, and if it was, then the renevations have abliterated a priceless piece of movie history.
Cheers

HorrorShow

Postby HorrorShow » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:17 am

Rick,
The maker is Aviakit/Lewis leathers and the style is the Plainsman. They can occasionally be found on Ebay. Also within the last few years they started making it again. However they want 665.00 GBP or 1056.00 USD for it new and I don't know if that even includes shipping.
http://lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=jak-393

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 am

I have heard that it was a Lewis Leather in the past, but that it was a Countryman style jacket. Of course, this does not synchronize with the information I received from the actual owner, who told me not to reveal the manufacturer as he makes replicas from vintage jackets when he can find them on eBay. Derek from Lewis Leathers sent some very compelling information which makes me think that there is a correlation that ties the two sources together though.
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

HorrorShow

Postby HorrorShow » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I know that a few different companies made copies of this style of jacket including Belstaff if I am correct. (not on my main computer to check my files) Main thing is finding ones that had the fringes on the front and back yokes. The movie one had that snipped off and the sleeve fringes were left intact.
MSL is a great guy overall.. very friendly, etc. I have received some help when I first started. I have also bought a few replicate pin badges and patches in the last few years as finding the originals would require hell freezing over. However, his site is very misleading... *fake or altered patches, a blurred photo while everything else is pristine, etc. I take what he says with a grain of salt anymore. Has to be a replica as it is way too pretty for its age. The Mick Rock book shows how thrashed the real jacket was already during filming. Why would you touch up a movie worn jacket? Wouldn't that lower its value instantly?

*The tigers head on the back has changed 3 times. I owe a vintage one and its not the one pictured.

Indy Magnoli

Postby Indy Magnoli » Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Just finished our version of this jacket:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/frank-j ... p-478.html

Kind regards,
Magnoli
+Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam+
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 am

Love it! Interesting choice. Now where is my checklist?

Rice? ...check
Newspaper? ...check
Water pistol? ...check
Toast? ...check
Confetti? ...check
Toilet paper? Toilet paper?!? oh, there it is. Check.

I'm set :wink:
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

Indy Magnoli

Postby Indy Magnoli » Thu May 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks! I'm happy with the way it came out. Not my choice, though... specifically commissioned by a customer.

Oh, and Rick... that signature quote of yours got me thinking... since 20 drops generally equal about 1 mL, if we are each one drop of water, the entire world would only be about 350kL... we'd fill a swimming pool, not an ocean. To paraphrase Harry from Dumb & Dumber, "That Ryunosuke Satoro is full of shit, man." :facepalm:

-Magnoli
+Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam+
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

Return to “Film Jackets”