Firefly: Captain Malcolm Reynolds Browncoat

Many of us started our infatuation with television jackets, rather than film jackets. There have been a few great ones too. Fonzie's jacket became so famous that it is a featured exhibit in the Smithsonian Institution. Now that is cool!

Moderator: Mike

Mike

Firefly: Captain Malcolm Reynolds Browncoat

Postby Mike » Sat May 26, 2007 3:17 pm

Here are a few scans of the Independant Browncoat, worn by Nathan Fillion, in the short lived(but well loved) series, "Firefly".

Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Shots of the coat, with production drawing.

Buckle and bullet hole repair detail.

Scans are from the book "Firefly:The Official Companion", published by Titan Books.

The coat was designed by Costume Designer Shawna Trpcic, and created by Leather Artist Jonathon A. Logan.
The coat is made of deerskin, dyed a deep mahogany. The closures are antique-finished brass. The cuffs appear to be leather trimmed, but are indeed the extra-long sleeves folded over to reveal the smooth side of the deerskin.

Only 3 coats were made for the series, all hand aged by Shawna Trpcic.
If you're not lucky enough to own one of these 3 rare coats, Abbyshot Clothiers makes a beautifully made replica, that you can check out int he link below.

http://www.abbyshot.com/products/ps-fir ... wncoat.php

Mike

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I found this on a 'Firefly' fan site regarding the coat-

Q: Was there any particular significance to using brown coats for the Independent fighters?

A: That is a Joss question. I do not remember being told specifically to use brown. Jonathan Logan made the coats for us and we picked the leather - suede rather - from his extensive supply.
Saoirse go deo

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 am

A few years ago you could actually get this jacket made from Jonathan A Logan from what I read. He had two version available a cheaper nondeer version and the SA deerskin.

Not sure if he is still willing to make it.
Let's make something go BOOM!

Sawyer

Postby Sawyer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 am

Surprisingly, I've never seen this show. That's a pretty bad ass coat though.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 am

I just started watching the show yesterday and I liked it. The styles are very unique, Old West meets the future.

AbbyShot makes the best version of this coat (aside from Jonathan Logan).

It would be interesting to find out if Mr. Logan is still making this coat.
Saoirse go deo

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Yeah, loved this show... Got the wife hooked on the series in reruns on HDnet then showed her the Serenity movie.

She was pissed! She says you mean that's it, they don't have any more?

Then I explained how the network shoved the show around so much and underpromoted it, there was no way it could succeed where it was.
Joss should have stuck with the UPN CW FOX network levels he was used to playing in... then it would've went on forever or at least a few more seasons until Sci-Fi took it on.
http://LogansCloset.com

Making Ultimate Apparel Reality

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm

There's still hope I think. Joss wants to do another movie and Summer Glau's 'Terminator' show looks like it's been tanked and the jury's out on how long Nathan Fillion's new show will last.

Anyway, back to the coat, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. It's pretty cool, especially with the distressing.
Saoirse go deo

DVD Connoisseur

Postby DVD Connoisseur » Mon May 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Jonathan Logan's now displaying his retail version on the film jackets section of his site!

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Is is just me or are there some differences in the retail version shown in the photos from his site and the what appears on screen?

The leather used at the cuffs obviously, but something different about the cut of the jacket as a whole.

knightofistari

Postby knightofistari » Fri May 15, 2009 9:05 am

THEMAN wrote:Yeah, loved this show... Got the wife hooked on the series in reruns on HDnet then showed her the Serenity movie.

She was pissed! She says you mean that's it, they don't have any more?

Then I explained how the network shoved the show around so much and underpromoted it, there was no way it could succeed where it was.
Joss should have stuck with the UPN CW FOX network levels he was used to playing in... then it would've went on forever or at least a few more seasons until Sci-Fi took it on.

LOL. My ex-roomates told me it was a canceled show that I would love. I started watching the first episode and by the middle of it I was SCREAMING at the TV saying, "HOW COULD THEY CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!???"

lol. At least we got Serenity out of it.

Herojacket wrote:Is is just me or are there some differences in the retail version shown in the photos from his site and the what appears on screen?

The leather used at the cuffs obviously, but something different about the cut of the jacket as a whole.

I had that question myself. Abbyshot used to have a pick of some guy wearing the coat and the jacket just didn't look right on him. It seemed.....too short?? I think the cuffs are too small too.....

I LOVE this coat...but Abbyshot hasn't sold it for some time....and I've found one other person that makes one and I'm unsure on the quality.

DVD Connoisseur wrote:Jonathan Logan's now displaying his retail version on the film jackets section of his site!

Saw the coat on Logan's site. I'm sure he charges a pretty penny for his coat....but it would be as accurate as possible I suppose. The pics look pretty good.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 am

I think the one on Logan's site looks different. Cuffs, color etc. Maybe he changed it a little for retail sale?
Saoirse go deo

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Fri May 15, 2009 2:43 pm

This was some time ago but I think JAL sold two versions of the coat. A "cheaper" suede version for around $750 and then the SA deerskin for $1200 (I think). The earlier versions were very screen accurate if I recall. Perhaps the original patterns have been lost? It happens.

Abbyshot made the coat for a while.

Another company called Browncoat Fashions also sold pretty accurate deerskin coats-- both the television version and the movie version--for around $750 as well.

It's a great show, great characters and cool coat but I cannot see myself wearing it around town. :lol: These days I simply can't justify spending that much $$ on a "closet" queen.

I am actually still a bit pissed at the ending of the series and the ending of the movie. It was almost like an "F* you" from Whedon--not to his fans but to the suits behind the networks/movie studios.

I still don't think he has resolved anything with Fox because Dollhouse is a hot mess.

MedwayPVB

Postby MedwayPVB » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:58 am

Thought I'd make my first post in here to say that Abbyshot are now making an Official Browncoat for $359, from their licensing deal with Universal for the Serenity license. :)

http://www.realbrowncoats.com/

Not sure if they'll make other coats, such as Zoe's, but the Browncoat is very Shiny. 8-)

I took delivery of one last week and put it on as soon as I got home from work, so excuse the fact I'm not wearing the whole Captain Reynolds outfit. :)

I have a very short (deformed) body and very long legs (36" inseam), so it doesn't look like it fits well, but it does and the bottom of the coat is at knee level on me, so will be well above the knee on 'normal' people. :wink:

Full set of pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15456611@N ... 006867892/

http://www.realbrowncoats.com/
http://www.abbyshot.com/

knightofistari

Postby knightofistari » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:57 pm

I gotta say that jacket sure looks shiny.....

I'm glad Abbyshot is back with their browncoat.....and I'm glad to hear your review...now I want one.

While I'm on it, anyone have any tips on where to get a good replica shirt?

and...just got some clips of the halloween castle ep. where he's mal for halloween.....awesom!

Daughter.."Didn't you wear that like...5 years ago?" LOL!!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 pm

MedwayPVB, just saw your post. Thanks for sharing the pics. Firefly was one of my favorite shows, so I dog all things from "The 'Verse".
Welcome to Filmjackets!
Very nice coat, BTW.
Mike

Return to “Television Jackets”